Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Professor and the Madman

Author: Simon Winchester
Sections:
      1. pg 1-60
      2. pg 61-120
      3. pg 121-180
      4. pg 181-241
Why I chose the book:
      I took a few classes as part of a program this summer in Oxford, and I was excited to revisit it through this book. Also, after reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves I found that I had a growing interest in the history behind language. It is through learning their developement that I find myself respecting and considering the aspects of our language that I take for granted. With nearly every assignment I consult a dictionary and have learned to simply accept that the definitions will be concise and clear. However, when asked to offer synonims I nearly always find myself at a loss. It truly does take genious to accomplish a work as great as the Oxford English Dictionary.
     However, the book does not seem to be a dull historical narrative. The title states, "A Tale of Murder, Insanity, adn the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary." It almost guarantees a fascinating story. I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment