Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Unit 1 Essential Questions

As I often find that application is the most difficult part about learning a new topic, the activity that was most helpful to me was reading the short stories. The vocabulary we learn doesn't mean very much to me until I have practice drawing from my knowledge to pinpoint what is necesary for a particular piece, or even genre. Article of the weeks serve a similar purpose, but when we discuss in class I have a better understanding of what I should be looking for next time I go to analyze something. (Not only short stories, but the commercial and the cartoons were a great help as well.)

Essential Question:
What makes an effective Arguement?

This form of arguement, spelled with a capital "A", refers to the type of writing necessary to address the AP test prompt. Therefore, the most critical part is deciding between refuting, qualifying, or supporting the claim provided. This can only be done once the given peices are analyzed for rhetorical devices, content, etc. Once the analysis has been made, a claim may follow. To portray the appropriate standpoint, a thesis must be made which contains the "three c's: context, claim, and consequence.

Overall organization and clarity of syntax is critical for effective writing. Sophistication of language and use of formal language is paramount. Each paragraph, containing a claim, must be supported with solid information (logos) and appeal to the audience's emotions (pathos) while establishing a persona (ethos) using voice, diction, and style. It is also adviseable to incorporate the counterarguement, known as refutation. The overall goal is to look at how and what the rhetor provided, then analyze why they did it. (Purpose).

This is the basic skeleton. However, communal knowledge, analysis of the pieces, personal interpretation, and rhetorical devices are the "meat".

My Interpretation:
The use of the word "essential" made me believe that these were the most critical information in Unit 1. These concepts will most likely appear again, and comprehension of them is paramount. They forced me to think for a little bit, but application of what we learned in class and what was discussed gave me the answer for each question. Although we were only assigned one, I think their purpose was to remind us which important concepts we really need to understand. If there was a question that was difficult to answer, for some reason, then it is probably something to bring up again in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment